The EBCA Bylaws
ARTICLE ONE. NAME AND AREA
- Section 1. The name of the organization is the EAST BETHESDA CITIZENS ASSOCIATION, INCORPORATED, hereinafter referred to as the "Association".
- Section 2. The area represented by the Association is bounded on the west by Wisconsin Avenue, on the south by East-West Highway, on the east by the Columbia Country Club and on the north by Jones Bridge Road.
ARTICLE TWO. OBJECTIVES
- Section 1. The Association shall serve as a means of uniting residents and promoting the civic betterment of the area.
- Section 2. The Association shall encourage active involvement of residents in all civic, environmental, educational, recreational, social, and development and maintenance matters in and around the area.
- Section 3. The Association shall uphold the principles of good government while remaining a politically non-partisan organization.
ARTICLE THREE. MEMBERSHIP
- Section 1. Any individual who is a resident in or owner of property within the area delineated in Article I, Section 2, upon reaching the age of 18, is eligible for membership in the Association.
- Section 2. Membership is obtained by payment of dues.
- Section 3. Only members may vote, become officers and hold committee assignments. Failure to pay membership dues will result in suspension of membership and loss of voting privileges.
- Section 4. Membership dues are on a Calendar Year basis, (January 1 - December 31).
- Section 5. The membership dues are set annually by the Executive Committee and approved at a General Meeting.
- Section 6. Voting shall be by members present. No proxies are permitted.
ARTICLE FOUR. OFFICERS
- Section 1. The officers of the Association are President, two (2) Vice-Presidents, Recording Secretary, Asst. Recording Secretary and Treasurer.
- Section 2. The officers, the immediate past president and the chairs of established committees comprise the Executive Committee.
- Section 3. The President is the Chief Executive Officer of the Association. As such, the President:
- a. Presides over regular and special meetings of the Association and casts a deciding vote on any question in case of a tie.
- b. With the advice and consent of the Executive Committee, determines which committees shall be established or dissolved, and names their chairs. (S)He is ex-officio member of established committees.
- c. Appoints delegates and alternates to represent the Association at allied organizations, with the advice and consent of the Executive Committee.
- Section 4. The Vice-Presidents assist the President in the discharge of the latter's duties of office. In the absence of the President, the vice-president designated to do so will preside at the meetings of the Association.
- Section 5. The Recording Secretary keeps a correct record of the proceedings of the Association.
- Section 6. The Treasurer is custodian of the funds of the Association. (S)He maintains appropriate bank accounts, receives dues from members, pays bills authorized by the Executive Committee and submits periodic reports on the fiscal condition of the treasury. In case of the Treasurer's absence, the President shall disburse Association funds, after being authorized to do so by the Executive Committee.
- Section 7. Any officer may resign by written notice to the President or either Vice President. Any officer may be removed by two-thirds vote, upon reasonable notice, at meeting of the general membership.
ARTICLE FIVE. MEETINGS
- Section 1. Regular meetings of the Association are held at least quarterly. The day and place of meeting is set in advance by the President and the membership shall receive reasonable notice thereof.
- Section 2. The annual meeting of the Association shall take place in November. At this meeting all annual reports except the Treasurer's report, are submitted and officers to serve the ensuing fiscal year are elected. The Treasurer's report shall be submitted at the first regular meeting of the calendar year.
- Section 3. Special meetings may be called by the President as necessary, with reasonable notice to the membership. Members may petition the President to call a special meeting by identifying the purpose of the meeting and supplying signatures of ten (10) members to support the petition. Only such business as the meeting was called to consider shall be discussed and be acted upon.
- Section 4. At any meeting of the Association a quorum shall be ten (10) members.
- Section 5. Roberts Rules of Order, as newly Revised, shall be the parliamentary guide and shall govern the proceedings of the Association.
- Section 6. The Association membership shall not take final action during a General Meeting on any issue that was not set forth on the agenda for such General Meeting as published in the Association Newsletter. The Association Membership may introduce an issue as is necessary and appropriate including but not limited to, refering the issue to the Executive Commitee, or any other committee of the Association for further investigation or setting the issue on the agenda for a future General Meeting or Special Meeting. To serve this purpose, published on the agenda for each meeting should be listed the opportunity for new business.
- Section 7. The Executive Committee shall meet at least bimonthly as directed by the President, upon reasonable notice, either written or oral.
ARTICLE SIX. ELECTIONS
- Section 1. At the meeting preceding the annual meeting of the Association, the President shall appoint a nominating committee, composed of a minimum of three (3) active members. The nominating committee will select members for each elective office and will submit the names of such nominees to the President for publication in the notice of the annual May meeting.
- Section 2. At the annual meeting, in November, any member may make nominations from the floor. If more than one name is presented for any office the members present shall elect by majority vote. If no one receives a majority, the nominee receiving the smallest number of votes shall withdraw and the same procedure is followed in each succeeding ballot until one nominee receives a majority of all votes cast.
- Section 3. Voting in the elections shall be by members present. No proxies are permitted.
- Section 4. All officers shall be elected to serve for the ensuing fiscal year or until their successors are duly elected.
- Section 5. Any vacancy in any office of the Association shall be filled by appointment by the President with the advice and approval of the Executive Committee. The foregoing does not apply to the office of the President which shall be filled by the Board of Directors.
- Section 6. The President shall not be eligible to serve for more than two terms in succession. A portion of a term shall not be considered a full term.
ARTICLE SEVEN. ADOPTION AND AMENDMENT OF BY-LAWS
- Section 1. These By-Laws shall become effective when adopted by two-thirds of the members present at a regular meeting of the Association and shall supersede all previous By-Laws of the Association.
- Section 2. These By-Laws may be amended or altered as follows:
- a. Any member may offer a resolution for amendment in writing at a regular meeting of the Association or may mail such written resolution to the President.
- b. The resolution so offered shall be published in the Association Newsletter or announcement of next meeting.
- c. At the regular meeting following the introduction of the resolution, the resolution shall be read and discussed and any amendments to the resolution considered.
- d. The resolution, with amendments, if any, shall be published in the Association Newsletter or announcement of next meeting.
- e. At the second regular meeting following the introduction of the resolution, the resolution with amendments, if any, may be adopted by two-thirds of the members present.
ARTICLE EIGHT. DIRECTORS
- Section 1. The Board of Directors shall, without election therefor, consist of the officers.
- Section 2. Meetings of the Executive Committee shall be meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Section 3. Two or more Directors shall constitute a quorum.
Join the EBCA Community
EBCA Facebook Fanpage
Recent Forum Posts
Recent Blog Entries
No recent videos